Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Xbox Live
AimGirl Forum > Tech Forum > Technical Help
Victoriia
Could someone please talk to me a bit about xbox live, how I can get it, how it works etc.

It's Dannys birthday on 22nd of June and I want to buy it for him, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Thanks in advance
Robb
Go into your local computer game store. Ask for Xbox Live Gold for 12 months. They hand it to you, you give it to Danny. He takes care of the rest.
Victoriia
So does it not go through the phone line or anything? Is it simply a card you put into the xbox?
Robb
No, it's not a card you put into the xbox. In the box you buy is a card with a code on it. Danny adds that code to his Xbox Live account to give him more time. You cannot do it for him unless you know his Xbox live account name and password.

Believe me it's best if you just go into your local computer game store, ask for a 12 month Xbox Live account, pay for it, take the price off it, wrap it, and give it to Danny.
Victoriia
Right, okay, thankyou smile.gif Will he definately already have an account though? He's never had xbox live before?
Robb
If he doesn't he will create one. Making them is free, and standard when you get an xbox, so the odds of him NOT having one are quite slim to be honest.
Victoriia
Rightyo, thanks a lot for your help, I will go to the store tomorrow, thanks again
Robb
Not a problem, a nice thoughtful gift you're giving him. Always a nice gesture to get a gamer more time or points. smile.gif
Victoriia
Lol, yeah, he will probably stay in his room for the first week, constantly playing on it. When I bought him the new UFC game last week, he was on it 6hours straight!

Oh thats another thing, sorry to be a pain, i've been looking on play.com and there are "points cards", should I buy him this aswell?
Robb
The points cards, these are ways of buying additional contect on the Xbox Live Market place, without using a credit card. You add these points to your Xbox live account in a similar way that you add the Xbox Live card that you are already looking at.

I use them for getting extra tracks for Rock Band and Guitar Hero World Tour. They also let you download some full games also (Super Street Fighter II HD Remix for example). Other games have other download content also. Extra fighters for some games, new levels, new team strips for sports games, and the like. Also new backrounds for the Xbox Dashboard.

Are they worth it? Definately. A combined gift of a 12 month subscription to Xbox Live and either 2100 or 4200 points (those are the two amounts available) is a great gift for any xbox player.
Victoriia
Right, that's settled then. I will buy him the 12 month Gold Membership Card and 2100 points. I think I will order them from play.com as it's cheaper than the shop I would buy it from.

Do these points go far? How long would they last? Aghh thats a silly question, it would depend on how much he uses it but do they go a long way? Or will he need to keep buying them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have no idea about xbox's what so ever and I dont want to ask him because then it will give the whole thing away. He would never expect me to buy him this, I wish his birthday was sooner, I want to see his face when he opens it!
Robb
Depends on what he spends them on really. No way to tell at all.
Victoriia
Okay, well thanks for your help, I appreciate it x
Victoriia
I spoke to Danny's mum about it and she daid they havnt got the right connection or something. My birthday presant out of the window thumb_down.gif
babzxo1221
QUOTE (cuddelykins-xo @ Jun 2 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Lol, yeah, he will probably stay in his room for the first week, constantly playing on it. When I bought him the new UFC game last week, he was on it 6hours straight!

Oh thats another thing, sorry to be a pain, i've been looking on play.com and there are "points cards", should I buy him this aswell?

I LOVE THE NEW UFC GAME! .. just a side note :]
Robb
Hadn't got the right connection? What they don't have the internet? If they do, the Xbox can use it.

Then again most parents don't have much a clue about tech to be honest.
Victoriia
Ha ha lol, I whooped his *beep* on it last week, he wasn't pleased lol. The graphics are really good on it aswell. Danny gets well into it lol

EDIT: I didnt see you replied until after I posted. They have the internet but it's a very old crappy computer, no broadband, it's EXTREMELY slow. They're not up to date with technology what so ever.
Jessica*
It has nothing to do with the computer. They need to have a router. You take an internet cord and connect it from the router to the xbox. it doesnt go through a computer.
Victoriia
QUOTE (Jessica* @ Jun 4 2009, 04:31 AM) *
It has nothing to do with the computer. They need to have a router. You take an internet cord and connect it from the router to the xbox. it doesnt go through a computer.

No but it has something to do with the internet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.