Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google Redirect Virus
AimGirl Forum > Tech Forum > Technical Help
Lyndsey
So I have the Google Redirect Virus I think.. basically when I click on links it will redirect me to an Ad website.. I've done so many scans and can't seem to get rid of it.. it's so annoying. So I was just wondering if anyone can help me maybe? I know I'm not being very detailed but I'm not really sure how to describe it. Any help would be appreciated!
still.the.one
Looks like if you go to this website they can give you detailed instructions on how to get rid of it.
GET RID OF GOOGLE REDIRECT VIRUS. FIND OUT HOW HERE.
Lyndsey
I've already tried that and it did not work. sad.gif
Robb
What antivirus program do you have on your computer?
Victoriia
Take it to a computer shop
Robb
QUOTE (cuddelykins-xo @ May 10 2009, 10:57 AM) *
Take it to a computer shop

Waste of time and money.
Victoriia
Not really, they know what they're doing. When I got a virus, I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they sorted it out for me for free.
Robb
1) Most places will charge.

2) Not all of them know what they are doing.

I've encountered the virus before, not on my own system, but on someone elses. Depending on what antivirus she has I can talk her through the removal of it without having her have to take her computer anywhere.
Victoriia
They should know what they're doing, seeing as though it is their job to know what they're doing. Thats like saying going to a beauty salon when they can't do manicures. Seriously.
KerriiAnne
Alright Robb/Vickie.
Both of your points are valid.

Robb, most of them would be like you. Helpful and they'll know what they're doing.
Vickie, people can get terrible manicures, they make out they know what they're doing.

Back to the topic. It could depend a lot on the antivirus software you're using.
Mine used to be terrible and I had a trojan that wouldn't go.

Victoriia
I was merely stating a point lol. Hmmm a better one *scratches head*. Like saying a hair dresser doesn't cut hair biggrin.gif
Lyndsey
Well when I first got the google-redirect thing all I had was Avira AntiVir Personal. I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot Search and Destroy. And well.. I ran all of those and they all found a lot but couldn't delete them for some reason.. so I ran my computer in safe mode and re-scanned and it was able to delete them all. Then when I got back on it returned to normal for a short while and then it retured.. so I looked online and someone had said that the Avast anti-virus might work so I downloaded the free trial for that too and it did nothing.. I know I shouldn't have two anti-virus programs on my computer but I was just testing to see if maybe it would work because I was desperate lol. I was thinking about doing a system restore.. it just seems to really be hooked on something!
TaraBreanne
i used AVG Free, and its really good for stuff like that for me.

http://free.avg.com/ there's where to download it if you want to give it a shot.
Robb
QUOTE (Lyndsey @ May 11 2009, 01:07 AM) *
Well when I first got the google-redirect thing all I had was Avira AntiVir Personal. I also have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot Search and Destroy. And well.. I ran all of those and they all found a lot but couldn't delete them for some reason.. so I ran my computer in safe mode and re-scanned and it was able to delete them all. Then when I got back on it returned to normal for a short while and then it retured.. so I looked online and someone had said that the Avast anti-virus might work so I downloaded the free trial for that too and it did nothing.. I know I shouldn't have two anti-virus programs on my computer but I was just testing to see if maybe it would work because I was desperate lol. I was thinking about doing a system restore.. it just seems to really be hooked on something!

Get rid of avira and stick to avast. Do the safe mode again and it should take care of it.

As for them knowing what they are doing in a shop, not always. Been using computers 20 years, and many so called professionals can be quite clueless.
Lyndsey
Okie dokie. The thing is avast did a boot scan (?) before I logged in and it found stuff but the google-redirect is still on here. Also.. when I do the scan it has me choose the files and I just have it check every file.. is that how I should do it?
Robb
Yes, that is exactly how you do it. Start in safe mode, start up avast, select "My computer" as that'll scan everything. Go through it, anything it finds, let it remove.
Lyndsey
Okay so I did what you said.. and it took 6 hours to scan it all.. and it found nothing lol. But I think I actually got rid of it last night when I did a scan with the other anti-virus program because I made it delete all the infected files instead of moving them to quarentine like it always recommended. Anyways thanks for the help smile.gif I'm just using avast now.
Lyndsey
Alright so it was gone for awhile and then it returned. I did some research on google, and I am pretty sure it is a backdoor trojan. I ran my computer in safe mode and did another scan, so it's normal now, but I know it will only just come back. I think my only option is to reformat my computer.. the only problem is I don't have the Windows XP CD sad.gif
Robb
If it keeps "coming back" it means you are going somewhere where it is and downloading it.

So a few suggestions.
Get Firefox as your browser. Get the addon for it called "noscript". Keep you Antivirus up to date. Keep your firewall turned on.
Lyndsey
Well.. the thing is the google redirect started right after I downloaded firefox. I don't believe I have the noscript though.
Robb
Do all the usual steps again. Safe mode, scan etc. BUT! Before the restart, go into firefox and set the homepage to google.com.

Then restart. You are going somewhere that is downloading this virus. Firefox doesn't just give you a virus for the hell of it.
Lyndsey
Google was set to my firefox homepage when I first downloaded it..
Lyndsey
I ran a malware scan a few days ago and it deleted somethings and once I restarted my computer IE stopped working.. and it tells me "windows cannot connect to the internet using http https or ftp". However, it still works when I am in safe mode with networking and firefox still works, which is what I am using now. I don't use IE anyways so it didn't effect me, but it is messing with windows media player so now it matters. Any suggestions? The only firewall that I have that I know of it the window's.. unless avast has one?
Robb
Avast does not have a firewall, it's just an antivirus.

It sounds like you have more then one piece of malware/virus on your system and overall it's killing it.

At this point I'd advise backing up all your important stuff to an external source, and format and reinstall.
Lyndsey
Can I do that with the Windows CD?
Robb
Yes, but remember to not select repair or upgrade. Complete delete the old parition and make a new one.
Lyndsey
QUOTE (Robb @ May 24 2009, 01:48 PM) *
Yes, but remember to not select repair or upgrade. Complete delete the old parition and make a new one.

I don't know exactly what you mean by delete the old partion and make a new one.. but do I have to use the same CD that came with the computer or can I go buy a new one?
Robb
You just use the one that came with it.

Talking someone through deletion and creation of partitions is not a good idea if they don't know what you mean. It's best you get someone to help you do it directly.
Lyndsey
I don't have the one that it came with anymore.
Robb
Well then you can buy a new installation CD, but it WILL NOT be the same way you got it the day you bought it. The CD you don't have anymore would have been a full "system restore to day one". A new one will be a standard windows installation. You'll have to install all the drivers for your hardware yourself.
Chilly
i had this virus a few months ago

it not only redirects google links.. it also blocks 90% of anti-virus websites.. including the links that update your virus detectors.

i eventually removed it with combofix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

which searched and removed the virus on its own.. it doesn't work like a normal virus detector so it seemed to work.

make sure you read all the instructions first.

this virus is a *beep* because its basically an anti anti-virus detector virus (lol mouthful)... and without using something a bit out of the ordinary you can't remove it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.