Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a new laptop...
AimGirl Forum > Tech Forum > Technical Help
Victoriia
Any reccomendations? I want one with a built in webcam. Doesn't need to be all high quality pictures as I won't be playing computer games on it. When looking for a laptop, what am I actually looking for? I had a quick look on the net last night, then I realised I didn't even know what I was looking for. I don't want to be spending any much more than around 600, not sure what that is in American money. Thanks in advance.
Robb
It's $1200 at the moment (yay for American economic collapse, that's what you get for being idiots, borrowing more then you can afford, and wasting $12million a day on invasions).

As for what you are looking for, it depends what you will be using the laptop for mainly. So give me a list of the main things you will be doing, you've already given me a price range, and I'll see what I can suggest.

Word to the wise, avoid Dell and Mac.
Victoriia
ermm mainly for college, definately for msn as it's one of the easiest and cheapest ways I can speak to my best friend and family in Australia. General browsing the net. Not for games or anything like that. Just general use really
Robb
Well then perhaps the Eeepc may be something to consider, there is a version with an inbuilt webcam. It is small, portable, uses an IM client called Pidgin that can access almost every IM network on the planet. It costs about 249

There is one Dell that I would put forward, an Inspiron 1720. Ok it doesn't have a webcam, but it's a decent notebook overall, and only costs 497

Those are the two I'd suggest for now. Perhaps even one or two full Asus laptops also, rather then just the Eeepc. But give them both a look and see what you think.
Victoriia
Thankyou, I'm going to have a look at a few tomorrow, i've written your suggestions down and see what they say, thanks
Robb
No problem. Whatever you do don't let them sell you antivirus and firewall nonsense. Get free ones online like the pinned topic mentions.
Victoriia
Is there anyway I can get Microsoft Word put on their without having to pay loads?
Robb
No, not really, especially on the Eeepc as it does not use windows (don't worry a 4 year old could use the Eeepc. It's designed to be simple with large icons clearly labeled). There are free alternatives however, that work the same. OpenOffice is the main one.
Kare to the Bear
I use open office, and I've found that it's almost exactly like Word
Victoriia
Thanks, do you download it? or what? To me the program is so essential to ym college work and it costs loads. Then again, if I cant get it for free, I will have to pay for it
Kare to the Bear
yea, just search OpenOffice, and you can download it for free
Darksun
QUOTE (cuddelykins-xo @ Apr 9 2008, 06:04 PM) *
Thanks, do you download it? or what? To me the program is so essential to ym college work and it costs loads. Then again, if I cant get it for free, I will have to pay for it

If you're at college or university, you can get the Student & Teacher Edition of MS Office free (or pretty cheap)

But otherwise, OpenOffice isn't a bad substitute (I've not used it for years though, I remember it being very slow, I think it's better now), and AbiWord is a nice basic word processor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.