Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: internet speeds
AimGirl Forum > Tech Forum > Technical Help
cootabug
I have a Dell laptop and a Dell desktop that I have a router hooked up to for wireless on my laptop. My internet has been unusually slow since we moved into my new house, but the wireless information given (when you move the clicker over the wireless network connection icon in the toolbar) will usually say that I have a Excellent or Very Good connection, but the internet is still slow as hell - like almost dial up slow. These are sites I visit regularly so its aggravating and they are not this slow on the desktop. Any suggestions?
Lindsey
Is your wireless connection seccured so no one else can access it? That would slow it down a lot.
david0mp
Is the internet connection as slow on your desktop as on your laptop?
cootabug
I am almost positive that its a secure line, but I'm going to have to check it out just to make sure.

And no, internet on the desktop is cable speed and works fine.
david0mp
Do a speed test on your desktop and then your laptop. If the numbers are similar, then your laptop is slow (not the connection). If the numbers are drastically different, then there is a problem with your router.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
cootabug
ok so i've found out that it is not a secure line but for the life of me i cannot figure out how to put a password on it - so anyone know how to do it when the connection is already set up?
hollipoo
call your router company. They can help you through it.
Robb
Why bother? Try doing to obvious, like reading the manual.
cootabug
QUOTE (Robb @ Feb 8 2008, 02:58 AM) *

When you find it let me know
hollipoo
Because Robb, if you don't know what you are doing, it's best to call the company. That is what I did. They go through with you step by step and help you if there are any problems. I tried using the manual to set mine up, and I just screwed it up bad. Called Belkin and they helped us through it. Manuals are tricky and can get confusing. Not everyone is as manual-able as you are. Besides...the guys at Belkin get paid good money to help us out.
Robb
QUOTE (cootabug @ Feb 9 2008, 01:07 AM) *
QUOTE (Robb @ Feb 8 2008, 02:58 AM) *

When you find it let me know

Hey not my fault you lost it.

When it comes to wireless routers you should ALWAYS password them so people cannot leech your internet. It's just common sense. Most routers use the same basic function, open a web browser, go to 192.168.1.1 and set it up from there.

And hollipoo, the only way you mess up when following the manual is if you DON'T actually follow it properly.
cootabug
its not exactly my fault because my father bought it and set it up. So i'll fuss him for you. haha

Anyways, thanks for the advice everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.