Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moto Razrs - Any good?
AimGirl Forum > Tech Forum > Technical Help
BlueTovah
Well I'm getting a cell phone soon (Please don't comment on my being 13, is just the way my schedule works) and I want a RAZR. I'm able to pay for it and everything, but does anyone have one? Are they any good? And does anyone know where you can get slightly older models? I've check the Motorola site and it didn't really help. And any phones offered at the phone company site are the expensive newer ones. I really don't need the most up-to-date-$600-all-the-features-you're-never-going-to-use phone. I just like the design. Would you recommend it? Why or why not? Need to know before I splurge tongue.gif Thanks.

(I don't think this belongs in Entertainment.. does it? If it does - sorry!)
Robb
Considering there have been multiple topics by other members on here with problems, I'd go with "Not as good as they should be". Over all I say get a cheaper better made phone. Looks don't matter as long as it works.
Refused
I have one. But I don't use it at the moment, since I had so many problems with the screen just not working properly. Now the screen doesn't work at all.
I wouldn't really recommend it as a phone. Also the screen tends to get a bit grubby after a while, because of the oils from your fingers getting on the keypad and transferring onto the screen when you close it.
You're probably best starting off with a simple, relatively cheap phone.
The RAZRs might look good, but they don't really last.
Kare to the Bear
i've had one for 6 or 7 months, and the only trouble with it is right now i can't send ring tones in text messages. and all this month, i couldn't get my software to work. but other than that, it's great for making calls and text messaging people. i have a V3 Razr
babzxo1221
I have one. I love it.
I also havent been able to send ringtones in texts. Also sometimes my camera will take a picture but than the screen will go like fuzzy colors? and the picture will be gone. But other than that i love it. there not that expensive anymore.. maybe 75-100 dollars.
hollipoo
I've had mine almost a year, and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it. I think it is more based on the operator of the phone, because I haven't ever had a problem with any 3 of my cellphones. Before I even had a cellphone, I knew how to use them because I'd always help my dad with his. If you like it, get it. They are only about 30 bucks through at&t with a new plan. (well when I last checked they were.)
BlueTovah
Yeah, we're setting up a new plan so the price won't be much a of a problem. I'll look at some online reviews and see if they are as mixed as this. How long did you guys have them before there were problems. Would it still be under warranty?
TaraBreanne
my sister had one, i didnt like it all that much. i dont really know why. but if you are going for looks, try a Sanyo Katana. thats the phone i have. i love it sooo sooo much!

heres what it looks like (mind you if you dont like pink, theres other colours lol)

this site also has info on them as well and there's a tab for reviews on what people have thought of them.
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1231 and http://www.phonerev.com/sanyo/katana_cellphone.html

Im not saying a razr is a bad phone. i just personally like this one better and it looks very similar to one.

anyways good luck smile.gif
BlueTovah
Yeah, when we were considering Sprint I looked into a Katana. My friend has one and it is essentially the same size and look. Do you know if it would work outside the Sprint network, though?
KJ
I've had a RZR v3 for about a year now. It worked really well for the first like 3 months, but then the camera broke after the 3 month warranty (convient, eh?) Then I accidently dropped it and the buttons didn't work very well for 2 weeks, but since I could still recieve calls I just let it be and the buttons seemed to work after that. Everything worked pretty well after that until around April when I would be in a phone conversation and it would make a huge crackiling noise and the screen would turn white and the buttons didn't work. It would only last for like 2 minutes, but it gets kind of annoying. Also, it doesn't seem to work too well with texting. I'll have 3 messages in my inbox and it'll say my memory is full and won't let me recieve anything until I delete those messages (sometimes it's only one message too).

I would advise strongly to just get a more durable cheaper phone, especially since you're 13. I'm not trying to judge you, I just remember when I was 13 and had my phone I'd drop it constantly and people would constantly look at my phone and playing around with it.
APPLECRiSPZS44
I`ve had one and the only problem I had is the same as karen and paige mentioned.. sending the ringtones. It still doesnt work for me!
does it work for you guys now(karen y paige_)?

anyways are you very clumsy? or like do you loose things easily? Bcuz i would not reccomend it than. I broke one kinda, but the new one i got is fine.
BlueTovah
As I read reviews online it is a complete mix. Many people said they had battery problems, then one person said the battery problems were before a recall. After that date there weren't many battery problems. Another big mix was durability. Some people said it is so thin and dainty, while others argued that it was made of metal and very durable. I am taking into account that it is my first phone, and I'll have plenty of time for Motorola to perfect it by the time I'm 18. I'm thinking I'll go with whatever phone has the "Sign up for a new 2-year contract and get a free _______!" deal, since we'd be a candidate for those promotions. If I don't have to pay for it, I'll probably try it. If it costs me too much, I'll try something a bit safer. Anyone care to advise otherwise?
KJ
QUOTE (APPLECRiSPZS44 @ Jul 23 2007, 02:25 PM) *
I`ve had one and the only problem I had is the same as karen and paige mentioned.. sending the ringtones. It still doesnt work for me!

anyways are you very clumsy? or like do you loose things easily? Bcuz i would not reccomend it than. I broke one kinda, but the new one i got is fine.

The reason for you not being able to send ringtones is because if you buy ringtones from your provider they are put as "locked" and are not sendable. They do this so people have to actually pay for their ringtones rather than sending it from friend to friend.
APPLECRiSPZS44
QUOTE (KJ @ Jul 23 2007, 03:51 PM) *
QUOTE (APPLECRiSPZS44 @ Jul 23 2007, 02:25 PM) *

The reason for you not being able to send ringtones is because if you buy ringtones from your provider they are put as "locked" and are not sendable. They do this so people have to actually pay for their ringtones rather than sending it from friend to friend.

But i didnt buy them
I bluetoothed them from one of my friends.
BlueTovah
Maybe you just can't send those files for the same purposes. My friends just record each other's ringtones instead of trying to send them to each other. If you're in a quiet area and have good recording, it works fairly well.
Kare to the Bear
QUOTE (APPLECRiSPZS44 @ Jul 23 2007, 03:25 PM) *

yea, i'm currently having trouble sending ring tones that i've created on my motorola phone tools software. i talked to a Unicel guy (my phone company) and he said the file might be too big
TaraBreanne
Yeah, when we were considering Sprint I looked into a Katana. My friend has one and it is essentially the same size and look. Do you know if it would work outside the Sprint network, though?

mine isnt with Sprint. It's just the picture of one i chose to post was a Sprint one. I have Bell (Canadian company, if you're from the States) so yea im pretty sure it will work with any network
Suck(My)Kiss
i dont know if this reply has already been answered... but as for looking for an older RAZR, try looking online on ebay or an online retailer. i wouldnt suggest getting a RAZR though, my friend has one and shes had nothing but issues. i have the motorola PEBL which is the same hardware as the RAZR, just a different shell and i have had constant issues with it.

i'm not saying anything about you're age, but maturity wise, its hard to take care of a delicate phone when you are younger. i'm 19 and the PEBL is a hard phone to take care of (ie; cant drop it, get it the slightest bit wet, moisture...) so i would get a tougher, more durable phone to start off with.
Gavin
my ex has one. she's dropped it quite a bit and it's still in one piece. probably best to get the insurance though.
takeonmexx
my brother has one and he loathes the thing lmao. for all the same reasons everyone else stated
pink__martini
Almost every one I know who has one has had problems with theirs.
xxxDaniellexxx
well i have a motorola razor, a pink one. i think it is great. Its so small iswell you can put it in your pocket and its not that bulgy. I got mine for christmas last year. Hasn't broken on me yet and hope it never will. touch wood. tongue.gif
MAR.
yea i have the vm3 in pink i think?
and its good it just sucks taht it doesnt have a flash on the camera
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.