Lindsey
post Mar 8 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Proud mommy to Caiden <3
Group Icon

Group: Admin Mod
Member No.: 70377
Name: Lindsey Marie

Surely, by now most have seen the viral video, and what inspired it....

Opinions?

If you haven't seen it, or don't know who Kony is (or where Uganda is) edumacate yourself. http://kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post Mar 9 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #2

home is wherever I'm with you
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 100502
Name: Kathi

I was a little taken aback by the way the white American organizers of this kept jumping in the foreground of the whole issue. I don't think there was that much need for the self-staging with the birth of his baby and the whole "if this happened one day in America it would be on the cover of xyz" - because I'm pretty sure there are a lot of shit things going on in the States without anybody caring to put it on the cover of anything.

I also understand why African organizations are criticizing this because it basically makes it look like they are doing no work themselves. Maybe it's just my education and the fact that in my degree I'm constantly taught to be aware of present day borderline colonialist thought processes like that (even if the organizers probably aren't aware of it themselves and their intentions are good overall).

Nonetheless I think it is a great idea, I think it's better than doing nothing and any one of us should probably ask themselves what they've done recently to help fight injustice and crime, even if it's just in your neighborhood or family. I definitely think, even though, sure, "one does not simply destabilize a Ugandan warlord by liking a status" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) social media CAN make a significant difference.

+Quote Post
Mas Tnega
post Mar 9 2012, 03:17 AM
Post #3

My hair is longer in real life
Group Icon

Member No.: 54716
Name: Bieber's Hair

I know that Invisible Children have terrible accountability, have never been independently audited and blow a significant amount of their money on anything but where you want the money to go.

I also know that Kony hasn't been active in Uganda since 2006.

I also know that the US has already done it's damnedest to deal with him.

I also know that the Ugandan army is worse for this shit and so much more.

I also know that the LRA doesn't begin and end at Kony.

Most importantly, there are better charities than them with better accountability and by extension better value for money.

Seriously, fuck 'em.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Mar 9 2012, 03:34 AM
Post #4

Beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54316
Name: Robb

I'm with Mas on this. Invisible children are honestly not a very good group. Sure Kony is a christian nutcase who wants a theocracy, kinda like Rick Santorum is actually, but you know what....EVERY time the "west" interferes with Africa or the Middle East it makes a fucking mess. A HUGE fucking mess.

These people need to sort it out themselves at this point.

+Quote Post
Suzy
post Mar 17 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #5

OBEY THE CAT
Group Icon

Member No.: 72382
Name: Suzy

Yeah, I'm not condoning what's happening obviously but there is a large amount of the West sitting on its self-appointed pedestal and looking down on other countries. And look what's happening there; we've so SO much wrong ourselves, I could list things, but I'd be here all day.

+Quote Post
Victoriia
post Apr 22 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #6

Don't judge my journey until you have walked my path.
Group Icon

Member No.: 98403
Name: Vickie

Anyone seen the film "The Machine Gun Preacher"?

It's based on the whole Kony situation. It's worth a watch.

+Quote Post
Ah Leesh Ah
post Apr 25 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #7

200 channels, nothin but cats.
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 56083
Name: Alycia

I agree with Mas and Robb. I'm really skeptical. That "cover the night" thing happened over the weekend, I did see posters all over town. But what has happened in the situation since all the hype on social media back when it started on facebook? Nothing. Nearly every one of my facebook friends posted the video, saying "omg we need to do something!", then the next day that was it. No mention of it ever since. I think a situation like that, obviously various governments are trying to stop him as much as they can, so just leave it at that. I guess.

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post Apr 26 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

I guess that's the spirit of our generation. All us twenty-somethings in the western world know we should be doing something to fight injustice and we feel bad about the injustice but none of us actually take actions. So we share some emotional video and pretend that makes a difference. Conscious at rest and now on to buying the new iPhone.

+Quote Post
love fuhrer
post May 3 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #9

for your health
Group Icon

Member No.: 53731
Name: a.d.w.

Aw c'mon, you must be taking some action about something!

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post May 3 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I help my elderly neighbor with her shopping bags and I'm nice to literally everyone I meet. If that's not doing more good in the world than clicking like on a link then I don't know.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 03:21 PM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds