TaraBreanne
post Sep 25 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #1

hmm
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 85671
Name: tara

I found this today, I think it can be pretty helpful for those that will be having exams or a lot of homework

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4476/

LeechBlock is a simple productivity tool designed to block those time-wasting sites that can suck the life out of your working day. (You know: the ones that rhyme with 'Blue Cube', 'Pie Face', 'Space Hook', 'Hash Pot', 'Sticky Media', and the like.) All you need to do is specify which sites to block and when to block them.

You can specify up to six sets of sites to block, with different times and days for each set. You can block sites within fixed time periods (e.g., between 9am and 5pm), after a time limit (e.g., 10 minutes in every hour), or with a combination of time periods and time limit (e.g., 10 minutes in every hour between 9am and 5pm). You can also set a password for access to the extension options, just to slow you down in moments of weakness!

The sites to block can be specified using wildcards (e.g., *.somesite.com) and exceptions (e.g., +allowme.somesite.com).

LeechBlock also keeps track of the total amount of time you have spent browsing the sites in each block set.

So you can keep yourself off facebook, twitter, and here during certain times in the day, forcing you to actually focus on studying and homework. And you can always unblock yourself after exams are done and such.

I think this is a pretty cool idea, I really should have used it during my final year in college!

only catch is you need to have firefox
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robb
post Sep 26 2010, 02:43 AM
Post #2

Beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54316
Name: Robb

Who wouldn't be using firefox at this point?

A good idea overall though.

+Quote Post
Dinaynay42
post Sep 26 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Wear a smile--one size fits all
Group Icon

Member No.: 93829
Name: Daina

Hm, well there's where my problem is. I have firefox installed and it is named as my internet, so if I click on a link, it opens up with firefox, but I don't use it. I use Google Chrome, so even if I blocked the sites on firefox, I would still open up Google Chrome without thinking and just automatically go to Facebook haha.

But this would be really nifty. Usually I just either sign out (most of the time I'm too lazy or don't want to waste time signing back in) or I have a friend change my password and then they give me the password back when I'm done.

+Quote Post
TaraBreanne
post Sep 26 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #4

hmm
Group Icon

or I have a friend change my password and then they give me the password back when I'm done.

this is a good idea too, as long as you don't piss your friend off before getting the password from her (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Jamie Noelle x3
post Sep 26 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #5

Goodbye my sweetheart & hello Vietnam.
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 3628
Name: Jamie Noelle

QUOTE (Robb @ Sep 26 2010, 04:26 AM) *
Who wouldn't be using firefox at this point?

You'd be surprised !

+Quote Post
TaraBreanne
post Sep 28 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #6

hmm
Group Icon

I'm testing this thing today lol.

blocking myself from aimgirl for 6 hours, so we'll see if it works! edit: oh man this is cool, only when I'm on the aimgirl tab, at the bottom theres a little count down clock for how much longer I have on here until i get blocked lol

in that time I will probably make a new video for my video blog and do some sewing!

This post has been edited by TaraBreanne: Sep 28 2010, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
babzxo1221
post Sep 28 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #7

you are a butterfly in the wind without a care.
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 69672
Name: Paige

your probably still blocked now, but let us know how it goes!

+Quote Post
TaraBreanne
post Sep 28 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #8

hmm
Group Icon

it worked, quite well, oh man, it was hard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

this page comes up saying site blocked and theres a "click here" link you can click on when the block is over.

I think the days I want to work on my etsy shop, I might use this for Facebook and Aimgirl, that way, when I go on the computer, I will focus more on etsy.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 03:49 AM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds