post Jun 28 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Sophomore
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 103751
Name: Kyra aka Christi

What do you use? A PC or a Mac?

For me, I use a mac. I don't see any real necessity for a PC. I can run Windows on my laptop, as well as Linux and so anything I would really need a PC for I can just do on the Mac instead. I like how I can navigate around, keep things insanely organized, and connect all of my accounts (on sites, different programs, etc) together. I was a PC Nazi for a while and refused to even buy an ipod, but now that I have the Macbook Pro I can't ever imagine using my PC again...other than maybe doing some things to make it better and selling it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jamie Noelle x3
post Jun 28 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Goodbye my sweetheart & hello Vietnam.
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 3628
Name: Jamie Noelle

I use a PC for everyday use, much cheaper... except when they decide to light on fire /sigh.

(IMG:http://i49.tinypic.com/zub9v.jpg)

anyways, love Macs.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Jun 29 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #3

Beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54316
Name: Robb

Having used both I prefer PC overall. I can build it, mod it, install what I want on it.

Macs do look prettier, no question there, but they cost a lot more. For example my PC which I built myself costs around $4000. To build as close to it as possible from Apple is $13000. The harddrive and ram and graphics cards are all of a lower quality of what I put in mine.

I do like mucking about with the Mac OS mind you, and hence built what is referred to as a hackintosh. It's a Mac machine built with normal PC parts.

+Quote Post
Kyratomic
post Jun 29 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #4

Sophomore
Group Icon

QUOTE (Robb @ Jun 29 2010, 03:43 AM) *
Having used both I prefer PC overall. I can build it, mod it, install what I want on it.

Macs do look prettier, no question there, but they cost a lot more. For example my PC which I built myself costs around $4000. To build as close to it as possible from Apple is $13000. The harddrive and ram and graphics cards are all of a lower quality of what I put in mine.

I do like mucking about with the Mac OS mind you, and hence built what is referred to as a hackintosh. It's a Mac machine built with normal PC parts.

I definitely understand your issue with price, my macbook pro was about $3000. But at the same time right now on it I run mac os, windows, AND Linux....not to mention my virtual machine which allows me to not have ot boot up with any of them separately but instead I can use them side-by-side. For instance right now I'm typing this on Mac OS x, but if I move my mouse down to the bottom right corner I bring up two windows and can move over to the next one and tinker around with Ubuntu in the virtual machine. So my question is, what can you install on the PC that I can't install on the Mac? Yes, if I'm using the Mac OS I'm sometimes limited by what programs I can use. But all it takes is rebooting in Windows or using Virtual Windows and I can put whatever programs I want. When it comes to modding there actually isn't that much I want to do. Right now this computer has my normal hardrive plus my two 500gb externals (about to get a tb external soon), I have two graphics cards, and blah blah. And when it comes to building, that's not my forte so it's not something I personally care about. I use this computer mostly for gaming, followed by the myriad of photo editing programs i like etc etc and it works amazing.

In the end I think Mac vs PC is really about what you want out of a computer. For what I'm using the mac for I absolutely love it. It keeps me organized, it rocks SO HARD at gaming, and many other things that I enjoy doing. Plus the prettiness factor on top lol. I also love Apple in general these days. I admit it...I have an itouch, am planning to get the iphone 4 once the second generation comes out, and tinker on my friends ipad for as long as he'll let me. I've learned that I'm a Mac, and I'm proud of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...it's just the way I like things. I think I'm just an Apple+Google person...apple products, google products...both used together keep me so organized it would make some people's heads spin.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Jun 29 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Believe me virtual machines are the way to go for a lot of things, but most on here wouldn't get it. I've a Xen Hypervisor box I built that runs my virtual machines for programming and testing.

The only thing I'd have issue with is Mac gaming. The graphics cards on most Macs are mediocre at best and they charge a fortune for them. Depends on what you're playing though.

+Quote Post
Kyratomic
post Jun 29 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Sophomore
Group Icon

QUOTE (Robb @ Jun 29 2010, 10:20 AM) *
Believe me virtual machines are the way to go for a lot of things, but most on here wouldn't get it. I've a Xen Hypervisor box I built that runs my virtual machines for programming and testing.

The only thing I'd have issue with is Mac gaming. The graphics cards on most Macs are mediocre at best and they charge a fortune for them. Depends on what you're playing though.

On mine right now I have these two graphics cards:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

And they work well for me personally. DJ plays WoW on here with very VERY little to absolutely no lag (my friend Kelly was in heaven when she played on our laptop) and I play things like Portal, Half-Life, and Bioshock.
TBH I'm not sure how good either of the graphics cards actually are or how much they cost because it's things that he added to it and I'm not big into the hardware of it all, that's his area of expertise. I just know that my games don't lag and I'm happy lol.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Jun 29 2010, 08:59 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

They were ok cards when they were first released 3 years ago. Middle of the line, would have gone for about $100 each. If I recall Apple charged $300 or so for them in their units.

Regardless, I will not purchase from Apple due to their huge price premiums on what is mediocre hardware. On design(ie looks), and marketing though, hats off too Apple.

+Quote Post
Kyratomic
post Jun 29 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #8

Sophomore
Group Icon

QUOTE (Robb @ Jun 29 2010, 10:59 AM) *
They were ok cards when they were first released 3 years ago. Middle of the line, would have gone for about $100 each. If I recall Apple charged $300 or so for them in their units.

Regardless, I will not purchase from Apple due to their huge price premiums on what is mediocre hardware. On design(ie looks), and marketing though, hats off too Apple.

Hmmm it's odd that they would have been released three years ago yet he's had this laptop less than a year, but that was what was included by default...? Oh well, in that case I'm going to be upgrading soon. Any recommendations for video cards for the macbook pro? Price isn't an issue though I'd like suggestions for something kind of mid-priced and another suggestion for something that can be expensive as long as it's top of the line.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Jun 29 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Actually for Apple it's not odd at all. It's par for the course.

Hmm, suggestions would be to not get a Macbook to be honest, the graphics cards they put into them are never very good and they charge a fortune, but if you can get an ATI based card that'd be the way to go. ATI4xxxx or 5xxx series.

+Quote Post
hollipoo
post Jun 29 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #10

Veronica's mommy
Group Icon

Member No.: 551
Name: Holli

I prefer PC. It does everything I want. And it doesn't cost near as much. I like Windows 7. Simple enough for me haha.

+Quote Post
kittenJanine
post Jun 29 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #11

ooo la la
Group Icon

Member No.: 45346
Name: Janine

To be honest, for what I do on a computer it makes no difference what so ever. Browse the internet, lots of word processing, graphs, statistical analysis, spreadsheets, listening to music, watching iplayer, playing scrabble and plants and zombies (ha) can be done on a rather basic computer.

But price always makes me stay away from macs. My laptop has a pretty pink and purple cover and looks just as good as a mac, honest!

My uni department is all macs and I dont mind using them, just mind paying extra!!

+Quote Post
Kyratomic
post Jun 29 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #12

Sophomore
Group Icon

QUOTE (Robb @ Jun 29 2010, 12:25 PM) *
Actually for Apple it's not odd at all. It's par for the course.

Hmm, suggestions would be to not get a Macbook to be honest, the graphics cards they put into them are never very good and they charge a fortune, but if you can get an ATI based card that'd be the way to go. ATI4xxxx or 5xxx series.

I'll look into that. IDK I like the macbook pro. The biggest issue, as I agreed with you on, is the price. But DJ got this when he got his signup bonus from the military so it wasn't a big deal at that point to spend 3 grand on a lap top (or $500 on our GPS and whatnot lol).

+Quote Post
LazyAngel
post Jul 4 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #13

Aim Girl Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 87989
Name: S

For me, I've become both. For the last 2 and a half years at work, I used a Mac exclusively and I really enjoy using them. I will always be a PC person at heart tho, and doubt I would ever buy a Mac so in the house, it will always be PC's. Plus, Al is in IT and he uses PC's so he can always fix them and upgrade them etc, which you can't do so easily with Macs.

But I do like how pretty they are. Because I was a noob when I started there, I learnt pretty quickly all the shortcuts and things and by the time I left, everyone was coming to me for Mac help! Ha!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 10:38 AM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds