still.the.one
post Apr 12 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Peyton's Mommy
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 66656
Name: Amanda

We just got a new dog, Lily-part lab, part terrier and she doesnt get along with the cats. Nips at them and just in general doesn't like them, anyway to help them get along? She's fine with the other dog, my friends dog, but just doesnt agree with cats. I mean I know that it will take time but any other tips and tricks?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jamie Noelle x3
post Apr 12 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Goodbye my sweetheart & hello Vietnam.
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 3628
Name: Jamie Noelle

A duel.

+Quote Post
hollipoo
post Apr 13 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #3

Veronica's mommy
Group Icon

Member No.: 551
Name: Holli

i haven't a clue...when we got my dog, she was already used to cats. it was the cats that had to get used to her...and it was pretty funny with my one cat. his hissing...and diamond would sniff him, and lay next to him. he'd hiss and get up and walk off.

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post Apr 13 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #4

home is wherever I'm with you
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 100502
Name: Kathi

I always thought that the only way to make a cat and a dog get a long is when the dog is still a puppy and the cat isn't aggressive. I don't think you can make them get along unless they want to. Maybe with lots of patience and cat and dog treats.

+Quote Post
cattie
post Apr 13 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #5

Junior
Group Icon

Member No.: 100950
Name: Catherine.

you can just slowly put one of them near eachother. maybe. i know my cats hated eachother untill a certain point, then they got together well. i think it can just take time, cause u can't force them or anything or try to make them get along with another if they don't want to.

+Quote Post
flux
post Apr 22 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #6

HNIC
Group Icon

Member No.: 94714
Name: zohweeee

that is definitely the terrier side of her, cause labs are so sweet natured! you just need to make sure that lily knows that its not okay to be mean, but she might not take to them. i think animals are like people in that sense. in that you cant make them get along if they dont like each other. im sure lily just needs to get used to them. good luck!

+Quote Post
Kare to the Bear
post Apr 26 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #7

Live. Laugh. Love
Group Icon

Member No.: 76887
Name: Karen

kind of punish lily (make her sit/lie down and not get up for a certain amount of time) every time she is mean to the cats. then reward her when she's nice and doesn't treat them badly.

it will take a bit of time for them to get used to each other though.

+Quote Post
BlazNhotPiNk01
post Jun 9 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #8

Aim Girl Addict
Group Icon

Member No.: 45485
Name: skfhdf

With my animals, it was the other way around.
I live in an apartment and got conned into having three cats, when I bought them as kittens. Anyways, I bought my puppy and brought him home and two of my cats were just scared, and one of them (George) is the initiator and it's "his" territory. After a while they all started getting along and all three of my cats actually groom my pup and give him "kitty hugs" as I call them when they nudge people or things with their faces.

Dogs and Cats need to be socialized at an early age. When they are young, and socialized with other animals they don't think of them as something new and something to chase or cause conflict with, but as part of their pack or just something familiar.
If you just got your dog, keep in mind that before your dog got there, it was your cat's territory. It's instinct to protect and defend territory, and your dog either A. Senses that she's not welcome or B. Was not properly socialized with cats as a young dog. My advice is to just slowly introduce them. Put your dog in a kennel, and have your cats check her out. Their very curious creatures, and maybe after slowly introducing them through a kennel, then put your dog on a leash and introduce them like that. Once the cats get familiar with her, maybe your dog will too. It's a slow process. Reward her for not barking or nipping at them.
Hope it helps!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 07:40 AM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds