pinkberryislove
post Aug 11 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Junior
Group Icon

Group: Member
Member No.: 102667
Name: Alexandra

My parents asked me to wear a purity ring when I started high school. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I'm a little embarrassed to wear it so I put it in my pocket when school starts. I feel kinda guilty but it's not that I'm ashamed of being a virgin. I feel like when I have it on it says VIRGIN on my forehead. Does anyone else have a purity ring? Do you believe in it or think they're stupid? Would you ask your kid to wear one? If you did have one do you wear it proudly?

This is what mine looks like:

(IMG:http://i32.tinypic.com/nvp5wj.jpg)

It says "true love waits"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yellow_lights
post Aug 11 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Royalty.
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 79141
Name: JEN-NAH-FUR

I don't have one, as it would be a lie. BUT, I do think they're cute, and I really like yours! I wouldn't make my kid wear anything he/she wouldn't want to. Besides, I wouldn't expect my kid to stay a virgin till marriage anyways.

+Quote Post
coldplay x3
post Aug 11 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #3

O Romeo, Romeo---where the hell art thou Romeo?
Group Icon

Member No.: 56780
Name: Leena

Yours is tighttt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't have one, but I do wear a ring at all times on my wedding finger.
Do not even ask why, hahahaha Because I don't know. Although I kinda
keep it as a reminder for myself. My mom did buy it for me, but it isn't a
'purity ring'. It's just there...

Don't be embarrassed or ashamed. It's cool. It's a good thing. Seriously,
you have to learn to flaunt whatever makes you slightly "ashamed" and
whatnot. I know I had to.

+Quote Post
pinkberryislove
post Aug 12 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Junior
Group Icon

Aww thanks guys!! Do people ever ask you why you wear it? It's weird though sometimes when I'm at sleep overs and all my friends start talking about sex they look at me and ask if I want to put my ipod on. I'm not a prude or anything & I definitely don't judge other people. I feel like people think I do so they don't tell me anything too intimate. You're right though I should learn to flaunt it, haha.

+Quote Post
coldplay x3
post Aug 12 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #5

O Romeo, Romeo---where the hell art thou Romeo?
Group Icon

Member No.: 56780
Name: Leena

Ah that's gay. You need to find friends who respect it.
My friends and I talk about sex and intimate stuff.
They know my limits (in regard to what I'll do, not talk about) and they respect it.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Aug 12 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #6

Beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54316
Name: Robb

Purity rings, ah yes, like that Silver Ring Thing....

Load of absolute fucking crap. If you don't want to have sex, don't. You no more need a ring to proclaim it then you need a screen door on a submarine. Have sex when you are ready, and make sure it's safe sex.

There was a report a while ago on Silver Ring Thing, that over 80% of those who took that pledge broke it, and didn't have safe sex as they had been brainwashed that condoms never work.

Learn about sex, have proper sex education, then if and when you want to, have sex. Not before.

+Quote Post
Element
post Aug 12 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #7

o:
Group Icon

Member No.: 51538
Name: Leigh

I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear one. I'd be more embarrassed if my mother gave me one, because then I'd think she's implying that I'm easy.
I think she thinks purity rings are fruitless. So she bought a box of condoms instead. rofl.

+Quote Post
Robb
post Aug 12 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (Element @ Aug 12 2009, 05:54 PM) *
I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear one. I'd be more embarrassed if my mother gave me one, because then I'd think she's implying that I'm easy.
I think she thinks purity rings are fruitless. So she bought a box of condoms instead. rofl.

Well at least they are more use to you!

+Quote Post
kittenJanine
post Aug 12 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #9

ooo la la
Group Icon

Member No.: 45346
Name: Janine

Im kind of neutral. I wouldnt wear one, nor would i ask my kids to. But if a person has decided they wanted to wait until marriage, thats their choice and if they want to wear a ring or carry a flag stating this choice then thats fine. I dont know weather asking a kid to wear one is a great move though. I think more talking to them about sex, safe sex, emotions involved etc and letting them choose is they way to go.

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post Aug 12 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #10

home is wherever I'm with you
Group Icon

Member No.: 100502
Name: Kathi

I wouldn't really ask my kid to wear one and I don't believe that your heart is purer when you're a virgin. But I'm a hippie, so what do I know ... =P
But I do hink it looks very cute, the ring itself.
Just remember to stay a virgin for the right things, the things you believe in, be it religion (ooh, I can almost see the angry spirals in Robb's eyes haha) or be it your heart or just how you want to live your life. Don't be blind, deaf and mute about things like that. I'm sure your parents want the best for you, but sex isn't evil. It can only get ugly when you don't know enought about it and let people take advantage of you.

+Quote Post
Mas Tnega
post Aug 12 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #11

My hair is longer in real life
Group Icon

Member No.: 54716
Name: Bieber's Hair

If you wear it and you mean it, more power to you. The world seems rather sexualised and to actually say you're a virgin is somehow embarrassing; to not be ashamed of it is damned impressive.

The problem with the rings is that some people who have them give no meaning to them, usually because it's someone else who wants them to wear it. If you're not the one who wants to do it, what's the point? The rings don't serve any function other than to say "I'm a virgin by choice, honest". They have no effect on the attitudes of the wearer and probably get a better appraisal from a scrap merchant.

Really though, whatever it is that whoever it is wants out of these rings would be better achieved with an engagement ring. Those say "Back off".

+Quote Post
pinkberryislove
post Aug 12 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #12

Junior
Group Icon

Yeah I think ultimately it was my personal choice or I like to think so. Yeah Robb a lot of people do break the abstinence pledge or whatever but I think you're underestimating how informed these kids are. My mom knows that it's possible for me to make a mistake or to be tempted and she talks to me about preventing STDs and stuff like that. Yeah Ive slowly learned which topics I can talk about with certain friends.

+Quote Post
still.the.one
post Aug 12 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #13

Peyton's Mommy
Group Icon

Member No.: 66656
Name: Amanda

I think it's a dumb idea. Stay pure for whatever your reason being. Not because you have a ring someone gave you (or that you bought for yourself) to stay pure and to declare it. I wore a purity ring from my dad for 2 months before I ended up having sex. It's almost like once you put the ring on, you lose your virginity. So what's the point anyways?

+Quote Post
Robb
post Aug 12 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (pinkberryislove @ Aug 13 2009, 05:11 AM) *
Yeah Robb a lot of people do break the abstinence pledge or whatever but I think you're underestimating how informed these kids are.

Really? I'd like to quote something from the Washington Post here.

[quote]Teenagers who pledge to remain virgins until marriage are just as likely to have premarital sex as those who do not promise abstinence and are significantly less likely to use condoms and other forms of birth control when they do, according to a study released today.[/url]

So read the link I posted, the facts and figures don't lie.

If you won't want to have sex before marriage, don't. But do it for your own reasons, not some stupidly contrived reason.

+Quote Post
love fuhrer
post Aug 13 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #15

for your health
Group Icon

Member No.: 53731
Name: a.d.w.

I don't know, I think having a physical reminder of an abstract value could help people stay true to their abstinence vow. I don't think there's any more right for me to knock people who choose not to have sex than there is for me to say people having homosexual sex is wrong. What do you think of that, Robb? Are virgins who choose to wear a purity ring as silly as a gay/lesbian individual who might choose to wear a gay pride rainbow bracelet? Didn't think so.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 25th November 2014 - 04:54 PM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds