Miss K♥
post Feb 26 2012, 05:01 AM
Post #1

home is wherever I'm with you
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 100502
Name: Kathi

A former colleague posted this on facebook with the caption "I'll never understand this'". I don't know the other people who commented on it.

Yeah so the first and second person I guess were trying to express something similar to what I said ... I didn't understand all of that Italian though so yeah ... but obviously I got shot down because that woman probably doesn't speak any foreign language including irony so she could only pick my statement as a target.

Anyway. It's not even about the religious crap or about some random lady giving me shit on the internet, because it's the internet, who cares. No. It's about the fact that people are constantly applying THEIR sets of morals and values and ideas and whatnot to OTHER PEOPLE and other people's issues that they usually have no real concept or knowledge of anyway.

And no, I do not approve of the idea of Muslim women having to cover themselves up like that but I will defend their right to do so if it is their choice and not shit all over it just because I happen to have been raised differently!

(IMG:http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/rockelfe/Unbenannt-2.png)

Then I stalked that Dawn woman on FB and she looks like a dinosaur after a round of botox gone horribly wrong so I don't blame her for her actions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robb
post Feb 26 2012, 05:34 AM
Post #2

Beware my power, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 54316
Name: Robb

Well that's the interesting thing about religions. We are supposed to be respectful of peoples beliefs and their choices.

(IMG:http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgxhyn2Vdp1qhrupio1_500.jpg)

However I can't be. I cannot respect the belief in invisible beings supposedly dictacting our lives. The idea that we're all born broken due to a woman eating an apple after a talking snake told her to, and that the same deity that made all that then commands us to be not broken.

Now I respect your right to believe whatever you want, and I would fight to my last breath to let people have their own faiths. But I do not respect what they actually believe in, and I would ask they do not attempt to force those of us who do not follow their beliefs to do so.

In the US right now you have people like Rick Santorum trying to get to be the president. This man wants a literal interpretation of the Bible used for all law in the US. In short, Sharia law, but Christian not Muslim. I see a big bloody issue with that on so many levels. If you want I can break it down piece by piece, but it would be a very long post. Suffice to say for the average Christian who thinks that all law should be based on the Bible, they are hypocrites, nothing more or less. Christianity is claimed (along with Islam I might add) as a religion of tolerance and peace. Read the Bible, read the Koran, watch how it's followers act. Peace? No. Hatred is what you will see.

Want another one. Just google Jessica Ahlquist. This girl goes to a public school in the US, Rhode Island. Under US law no public school (as it is funded by the government) may endorse any religion. The school had a prayer on the wall, breaking this law. This 16 year old girl asked for it to be removed, ended up going to court. She has death threats against her and her family, threats of rape, by these "peace loving" Christians.

Have your religion, have your beliefs, find comfort in it, practice your faith in your place of worship. But do not expect others to bow to your religion. Do not ask us to share your beliefs, and when you try to force them upon us do not expect us to go quietly into the night. Freedom of religion and FROM religion is something a lot of countries need to remember.

+Quote Post
Suzy
post Mar 5 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #3

OBEY THE CAT
Group Icon

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 72382
Name: Suzy

Well here's something that I really feel people forget. THERE ARE OTHER RELIGIONS OUT THERE BESIDES CHRISTIANITY. I for one am pretty religious, but I'm not Christian. I go and do my own thing, I don't badmouth other religions, I badmouth assholes and idiots (because of their actions, not their beliefs)

Here's the thing though: don't you think that freedom of religion needs to have freedom FROM religion? Everything assumes you're Christian in Ireland, for example. I'm finding this out more and more as I investigate into wedding things.

I'm not sure if the Qur'an actively advocates hatred, I'm subject to correction as I actually have yet to flick through it, but I was under the impression that it was pretty in favour of peace and tolerance, it was some people who decided to change things to suit themselves who gave it the horrible reputation it now has. The Old Testament on the other hand, well I know for a fact that that's all for rape, slavery and murdering people, and if you don't, you'll burn in hell.

+Quote Post
Miss K♥
post Mar 7 2012, 03:35 AM
Post #4

home is wherever I'm with you
Group Icon

Group: Super Member
Member No.: 100502
Name: Kathi

I think you're right, as far as I'm aware the Qur'an promotes one of the more peaceful belief systems in this world and it is, as always, the fundamentalists who mess it all up and of course they're usually the only ones making it into the news and distorting the picture for everyone else. I still think you have to blame the actual individual people for being ignorant, not the media or anyone else.

And I agree with most of what you're saying, Robb, except I think if you're talking about the snake and the apple and so forth you're doing exactly the same thing that all the fundamentalist Christians are doing, you're taking a creation myth literally. (And most belief systems have one of those and you wouldn't go and ridicule, say, a Navajo creation myth, right?) And I doubt the "average" Christian believes all law should be based on the Bible.

What just pisses me off is the ignorance and even more so that they can't just keep their ignorant ideas to themselves instead of directing it at people they don't even know in a public place such as Facebook. As much as everybody is entitled to their opinion, blurting it out at every opportunity is the real ignorance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 09:00 PM
Cool Sites: Profile Picture Editor | MySpace Codes | Buddy Icons | MSN Icons | Twitter Backgrounds